I wanted to have cooked and uploaded this earlier but Christmas is an hectic time and only now I’ve finally have had time to cook and photograph my nuts roast recipe. The perfect nut roast should be rich, moist and have a nice crunchy texture to it.
The photo only shows half of the roast, my friend and I ate the other half 🙂
This recipe is quite versatile so feel free to swap the veggies with your preferred options.
The oats and the chia seeds mixture help with the binding. You could replace the chia seeds with grounded flaxseeds too.
I’m not a big fan of dried fruits but if you are you could try mixing some in too.
If this recipe needs to be gluten free please read this article about oats.
Serve with your favourite Christmassy accompaniments such as roasted potatoes and parsnips, kale, brussels sprouts, onion gravy, cranberries sauce, and so on.
Christmas Lentil and Nut Roast
|Prep time||45 minutes|
|Cook time||1 hour|
|Total time||1 hour, 45 minutes|
|Dietary||Gluten Free, Vegan|
|Meal type||Main Dish, Side Dish|
|Misc||Pre-preparable, Serve Hot|
- 1 cup Red lentils (dried, uncooked)
- 3 cups Vegetable stock
- 1 Bay leaf
- 2 Small Onions (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 3 cloves Garlic (chopped)
- 1 Medium Red pepper (finely chopped)
- 1 Small Courgette (finely chopped)
- 1 cup Mushrooms (your favourite kind, finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Maple syrup
- 5 leaves Fresh Sage (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 2 tablespoons Parsley (finely chopped)
- 1 cup Oats
- 1.25 cups Mixed Nuts (roughly chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
Chia seeds mix
- 2 tablespoons Chia seeds (or grounded flaxseeds)
- 1/3 cup Water